Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Blah blah blah

I've had the blahs lately when it comes to creating, starting many things and finishing few. Still, I thought I'd share one of the things I've almost finished and some of the things I've barely started.


This took forever! Something like 121 rolled roses, all stitched by hand. I used a wool blanket I felted several years ago and by the time I got to the end I was down to bare scraps of the fabric. And yes, that's the reason for the red rose. I still think the pillow looks a bit bare in places but without my resorting to more red roses it'll have to stay as is. The unfinished part? It's an envelope pillow and right now the back looks like a full-figured woman in a blouse she bought to fit her shoulders. In other words, it gaps. I think I'll put on a couple of buttons and strap buttonholes to hold it shut. I should have enough scraps left for that. One of these days.

As for the projects not quite started, a couple of weeks ago I bought some vintage lampshades to redo. Two of them are octagonal,


Actually one is octagonal. The other is this round one with eight panels, not really octagonal. For the round/eight paneled shade above, I'm embroidering some white linen, a work still in progress.


My intention is simply to do rings in white crewel wool, some intersecting, some free-floating.This shade will be for a lamp in my guest bedroom, an old openwork brass lamp. The real octagonal I'll use here in the office


The lamp is green and cream openwork porcelain, and I thought this fabric would work perfect as a shade. I bought it from Avenue 55 on Etsy.

The third is hard to describe so I'm not even going to try. It reminds me of the lampshades you see in those old movies with Myrna Loy.

 For it, I would love to find some black and white striped silk but so far haven't found what I'm looking for.


This is a Dr. Seuss-inspired cotton stripe from Fabric.com. I'm liking it, but I'm unsure if it would work for a lampshade. It's for "quilting and craft projects as well as apparel and home decor accents." (The green newspaper print I bought sight unseen as well, but it's a linen cotton blend so I have faith it'll work.) What I really wanted was more of a cabana stripe in a silk.

Like this one, which is actually a beach towel from Ralph Lauren. (At $95 a pop, even if it would work as a lampshade I'd have to pass.)

I do have a Scalamandre silk onhand, but it's just not what I'm looking for. (As in, not black and white.)

It's a lovely silk, and I may use it anyway. Just have to get my mind to stop focusing on the cabana stripe.

That's all from here, for now. Ta.