Tuesday, February 26, 2019

All Things Oriental

I've mentioned before--but who can remember?--that I live in an area with a high population of elderly, a boon when it comes to thrifting.  (Unfortunately, I'm nudging at the bottom end of that range now myself.)

I've lately become enamored of things international. Today, Oriental; tomorrow, Mexico; soon, Africa?

This little find was something I stumbled upon on a day when I rarely go thrifting. The hub had an appointment in town so we stopped at my fave thrift store afterward. And I found this:


Chinese Nephrite Spinach Jade Duck Carving. It's small but mighty. (About 2 1/2" tall with a base measuring 5" x 1 3/4".) The carving is magnificent, with the duck pulling a fish from splashing water.


Gouache ancestor portraits on silk. These are fairly large, about 16" x 22". I find things, text a photo to my sis, who does the research while I shop. Found one of these, texted her and she sent me a link for a pair that were way expensive! But I only had one. Then a thrifting friend, who just happened to be in the same store, found the second one. Yay!


Extra Large Hand Painted Porcelain Charger. At 18" diameter, this one makes a statement. It's hard to capture the size of it in a photo, and even the dimensions doesn't make it seem all that large, but it is large.


Japanese Cherry Blossom Lidded Jar. Another statement piece. At almost 12" tall and 13" in diameter, it dwarfs my 4-person kitchen table. Otherwise, I think I'd use it in my own home. I can see it as a centerpiece on a large dining table. (Again, the dimensions don't make it seem as large or impressive as it actually is.)


Hexagonal Porcelain Vase with Figural Pomegranate Handles. At 14" tall, it commands attention.


Hand-Painted Porcelain Vase. Another attention getter, also 14" tall.


Japanese Patinated Bronze Solifleur Vase. At 8 1/2" tall, this has a very delicate look but, being bronze, it's hefty in weight. .


Chinese Blue and White Peacock Bowl. It has a chip but was so beautiful and so obviously old I couldn't pass it up.

Just a small taste of the Chinese/Japanese/Asian/Oriental things I've found recently, but most definitely enough for one posting. Check SumpnSassyVintage if you'd like to see more.

Ta, y'all.





No comments: