Sunday, October 6, 2013

Checking In

Things have been pretty hectic around here for a while. We've had illness in the family, and all my attention has been on that. That's in a holding pattern right now so I thought I'd post on my current projects.

First some background: about a year ago, I was approached by an author regarding a book she was writing about tea cozies. She wanted to use a picture of one of mine in her book.
I gave her my permission for the one pictured above, and then again when she asked to include the one  below.
In our conversations, she mentioned the Pearly Kings and Queens of London and wondered if I'd ever thought to use them as inspiration for a cozy. I'd heard of them but had never been so inspired. Ah, but once she mentioned it....
It's a loose interpretation, and I don't love it, but it took hours and hours of work, and I'm not about to start all over with something that might please me more.

The final thing I have to show today is also button-related. I've seen--and admired--embroidered buttons on Etsy and thought I might try my hand at it. So I did one that was all over French knots. I was so underwhelmed I let it sit in my button box. The other day I came across it and wondered what I could do to kick it up a notch.
And yes I know my bullion stitches aren't to brag gable--barely showable--but I claim the difficulty in embroidering an already-covered button! I'm thinking this one I'll use as an accent on a matelasse pillow. More to come later.


No comments: