Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Convoluted Path to Creativity

"Amateurs borrow, professionals steal."

I'm not sure where that comes to play in my creativity, but in this instance I'll admit to stealing an idea and embellishing on it. (I lo-ove to embellish!)

A while back I was following links on either Nesting Place or A Soft Place to Land--it was so far back I can't remember which one or where it led. One blogger--hence known as TB--was showing off a chest she'd redone and tablescaped a la the Nester--see why I can't remember which one? Kimba at ASPL does DIY Thursdays and Nester blogged on tablescapes. On top of her chest, TB had arranged a couple of candlesticks with three toile stars made by her mother. The picture wasn't large enough to get a good view of the stars and TB only mentioned them in passing, but they caught my attention immediately.

I had to make one! I searched around online for patterns and instructions and found nothing so made my own pattern--I mean, how hard is a star? Still I didn't want to cut into my good fabric with a practice pattern so I used ticking I've had for a while.

The outcome didn't impress me--I work much better with patterns and instructions. The points weren't stuffed stiffly enough to make it stand and I'd already stitched it shut and didn't want to unstitch but didn't want to throw it away and wouldn't give it away as it was, yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah. So...back to the button box--

It's about ten inches tall (25.4 cm) and it still doesn't stand that great on its tippy-toes. I decided to stitch an elastic band on the back so it can be used as a treetop ornie--I've put too much work in it to stop now!

So is that stealing or borrowing or what?

5 comments:

DaisyJ222 said...

I don't think it's borrowing or stealing .... I think it's "up-thinking" or "up-designing" or ... springboarding or ... well... you get the idea. I'm loving the look of your star. Now ... how about a teensy one covered with golden or silverish buttons for a Christmas ornament? That sounds like something I'd like to do. Now I'm stealing, borrowing or up-thinking YOUR design.

Tricia ~~ Handmade Whimzy said...

I don't think it's stealing either. I like your star. It would look great on a Christmas tree top.

TexNan said...

Thanks both of you. (I'm a little late for you, Daisy, but since we talk pretty much daily, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.)

Trish, good to see you here! Now I'll have to track back and see if you have your own blog.

Jean said...

I really like this star! I am such a pack hound for buttons and I had to laugh at you mentioning not cutting into your good fabric. I have so many beautiful things in my stash and I really want to use them but....Any way I find that most creative ideas come from something we read, saw or heard of. I like Daisy's idea of up-thinking. Miss ya!

TexNan said...

Hey, Jean! Where've you been? Did you stop blogging or what? Glad to see you around. Don't make yourself so scarce, ya hear?