Friday, October 17, 2014

Vintage Linens

I'm a sucker for many things vintage, linens among them. And I live in the perfect area to indulge that weakness. Llano county in the Texas hill country is demographically an old county with almost 40% of the population over the age of 60. That may make driving a trial of patience, but it also makes a prime area for estate sales and thrift shopping. Somehow, in the midst of all that once-loved treasure, embroidered linens is one I invariably find in my searches.


This one shrieks midcentury with its graphic shapes and purple beets. 



Though more elegant, this one's still a typical mid-century design, maybe later than some of the others.



These have to be from the fifties. They have such an exuberance about them, such a feeling of, I dunno, happiness? sunshine? joie de vivre?


I'm guessing '50s on this one too. I would love to see the set it must have come from: silver, dishes perhaps, maybe glassware and um, what else? Cookware? Pots? There were probably at least five to the set but I can't come up with a fifth. Maybe it'll come to me later.



And this lovely set, a bridge cloth and eight matching napkins, must have graced many a ladies' card game in the '50s and '60s. I can imagine it now, four ladies at a table, maybe two tables set up, different linens on each, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres?

These are all from my Etsy shop, SumpnSassyOldStuff, a small smidge of what I have available there and an even smaller smidge of what's available on Etsy itself. 








No comments: