Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Umm umm good!

I don't consider myself a cook and I have lots of excuses for not being one: Tom is super picky, and we're both diabetic, and I'm too easily distracted from the task at hand so things often burn. But I found a terrific stir fry recipe that even I can't mess up--it has become one of my fave dishes--and I wanted to share it with y'all.

And no, this isn't what mine looks like when it's done. (Actually I think mine looks better--more Chinese-y, or rather more like what one would find in a Chinese restaurant here in the states.) The above is a pic from the site where I found the recipe: the Reluctant Gourmet's Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry.

Chickent and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Serves 4

Marinade Ingredients:
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. dry sherry or rice wine
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. Oyster Sauce
1 T. cornstarch
1 tsp. sesame oil
3 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips

Aromatics:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. ginger, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Other Ingredientes:
3 T. oil
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
1 red pepper, julienne
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1/4 c. halved cashew nuts

Prep Work:
Combine the marinade ingredients, cut the chicken into strips (we like boneless skinless chicken thighs), then marinate the latter in the former. (I start with this step before I move to the next, so although the Reluctant Gourmet says "for a while", that's my while.)

Next cut up your broccoli and onion and julienne the red pepper.  (Tom won't eat broccoli--remember the "picky" reference?--so I use whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Last night that was carrots, celery, green pepper, all of which I julienned, onion, and green beans leftover from Sunday dinner.)

How To Make At Home:
Preheat wok or frying pan over high heat. (I use a flat bottom Calphalon Everyday pan. I tried to find a pic on the 'net, but I've had mine so long I guess they no longer make that style.)

Add 2 T. oil, then add chicken, reserving marinade. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Cook in batches if necessary. Remove and set aside.

Add remaining tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the aromatics for 10 seconds or until fragrant. (Unless I know I'm making this beforehand, I rarely have ginger, but it makes up pretty terrifical with just the garlic and pepper flakes, the latter of which aren't enough to make it uncomfortably hot, just gives it a bit of a kick.)

Add veggies and stir-fry 3-4 minutes.

Add reserved marinade and reserved chicken and cook until sauce thickens, stirring frequently. (Since I never manage to time my dishes to finish at the same time, I usually have to add extra chicken stock to this while either the rice or the egg rolls finish, which maybe is why mine always looks browner than the pic at the beginning. Or maybe it's cuz I use cooking sherryin the marinade instead of rice wine.)

Toss with cashews and serve over white rice.

Honest, this is such an easy dish to make that when I'm done even I almost feel like a cook--and a good one at that.

Enjoy, and ta, y'all.

2 comments:

kimmy said...

that looks so good. i cant eat shell fish but i think it could be made without the oyster.

TexNan said...

I like the brown color oyster sauce give to the dish, but you can substitute soy for oyster. Let me know how it turns out.