Tuesday, December 16, 2008

As I'm sure...

You can tell, I'm a new blogger. Today I thought I'd upload my favorite banana bread recipe. I may well have overdone it on the pics; if so, please comment. I can only learn as I go.

This recipe came from a friend/co-worker who was (likely still is) a fantabulous cook. I make it every year for my Christmas gift baskets, but not that often otherwise. It is so not low-fat or low-calorie. I call it Becky V's Best-Ever Banana Bread.

Start with the ingredients: all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, buttermilk, chopped nuts, ripe bananas.

Mix 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour (I sift into the bowl, after measuring).

Add 1 1/2 c. sugar (I sometimes drop it to 1 cup and have in the past done half sugar, half Splenda).

Add 1 tsp. baking soda.

1/2 tsp salt

Mix all dry ingredients together.

Add 2 eggs


1/2 c. vegetable oil (This too I've cut, but never go below 1/4 c.)



1/3 c. plus 1 T. buttermilk (I often use regular milk soured with a touch of white vinegar).

1 tsp. vanilla and a cup of chopped nuts (the original recipe calls for walnuts but I generally use whatever I have on hand--today that's pecans).


And 2 crushed ripe bananas.


Mix.


Spray 9x5 loaf pan (today I decided to use these new muffin dealies) with spray vegetable oil. Fill with batter.

Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour 20 minutes, or these took only 45 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick in the center. Remove from oven and let set for 5 to 10 minutes.


Turn out on rack.

I'm not sure I'll make these individual muffins again. Firstly I filled them too high. I knew I had but didn't want to squeeze in another muffin. Usually for Christmas I make several mini loaf pans. That's what I'll do the next time I make it, which will probably be tomorrow.

1 comment:

LITTLESASSY said...

Glad to get Becky V's recipe. It's one I never got from her. And she IS THE BEST BAKER EVER! So this is a keeper. THANKS!